Saturday, April 25, 2009

An Interview with an Olympian: Chatting with Brook Billings

As a 19-year old that just began to really get into the sport of volleyball, I used every single source to further my knowledge of the game, as well as network with as many players as possible. I may not use myspace often anymore, but a) it was how I got in touch with Coach Dave, so technically without it I may have never found the path I did, and b) many professional players ended up having profiles. I friended a lot of Olympians, and most accepted, but actual discussions were rare.

This was not the case with Brook Billings. 

I remember watching a video of the United States' AMAZING comeback against Greece in the 2004 Olympics, and Billings had an absolute cannon of an arm on the right side. Stanley is probably the name that comes to mind for most current fans of USA Volleyball when thinking of opposites, but Billings was a crucial piece of the puzzle en route to a 4th place finish during those games, which at the time was a pretty big accomplishment for a team that was still finding their identity.

Upon friending Brook Billings, I asked him about how to improve my game, getting overseas, and other various topics. Not only did he answer, but he would answer quickly, and with long, detailed responses which he'd clearly put a lot of time and thought into.

Years later, I messaged him on facebook asking if he'd be willing to answer some questions for an interview, and although a lot of time had passed since our previous conversations, he was still the same guy he was the first time we had talked. If more elite athletes were like him, the professional sports world would be a better place.

Thank you for your time Brook. For the readers that aren't familiar with you, could you give a brief volleyball background? (College, Years played professionally, countries you played in, etc.)?

USC, 7 years in Europe and 1 summer in Puerto Rico. 7 years with Team USA...Vienna Austria, Osaka Japan, Eregli Turkey, 3 years Czestochowa Poland, Istanbul Turkey.

What are some of your favorite hobbies when not playing volleyball?

Surfing, Beach Volley, water skiing, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Laker Games!, Lounging at the pool, a little golf, some Tennis, Palm Springs and boating in Big Bear.

When you first began to play overseas, what was the biggest obstacle in regards to culture shock?

Def the language was an issue but I was also surrounded by Americans my first year. Getting paid and having some money in my pocket was a nice change. It also made playing more like a job and more stressful. Living so far away from family was hard as well. I think that is the main object that breaks a lot of players' careers. They aren't able to live so far away from loved one and friends and get super homesick. Its a hard thing to do...A lot of players also want to come over and just have fun while getting paid. Its not like that. Clubs expect you to be professional. 

What do you miss the most when you're not back in the States?

Of course my family and friends. Its hard to hear about family get togethers for the holidays while over here. Also missing a friends bday or even wedding and being so far away only to be see the photos after. I also miss going to Laker games and good mexican food!

What's one of your favorite things about the culture you currently reside in that isn't found in the United States?

I think having lived in Poland which is a 90% Catholic country and then living in Turkey which is a 90% Muslim country you learn to appreciate everyone's views and beliefs. Currently living in Turkey, to answer the question...I enjoy learning the History. Still seeing some of the ancient ruins through out the entire country is pretty amazing. I love the outdoor cafe's for coffee. It just has a different vibe than at home. people at home are always stop into Starbucks for a coffee on the road. here they take their time and enjoy the atmosphere. 

Can you give readers an idea of your typical off-day?

Two or three times a week we only have one training in the afternoon so I have a lot of free time. Its hard to say what I do on my "off days" because i'm not a cold weather guy. I tend to meet up with my friends from the team and their families to get coffee or hang out. I have been playing a lot of Uno with my friend Vladamir Grbic and his family in the evenings. its a great game to be with friends and hang with eachother. I like to go for walks and get outside when its not raining. I take a lot of naps as well. 

And how about days you have matches?

I'm kind of a supersticious guy and like to do things that have reflected good matches. Wake up and breakfast that is usually cereal and a banana with a big cup of coffee, If you haven't noticed by now... I'm addicted to coffee! I'll take a walk just to get out of the house/hotel and then come back and rest before lunch. After Lunch I will dark out my room and take a nap, granted it is a night match. after my nap I like to take a shower to wake up and pound a lot of water/powerade to hydrate. Maybe grab a sandwich or some sort of snack that will give me energy and then listen to music on my way to the match thinking about how I am going to enter the match. Jump and hit the ball high off the block, throwing my toss nice and high on my serve, and trying to grab the ball while blocking. Just little notes to myself to start focusing before warm ups.

Congratulations on being selected for the Preliminary World League Roster! It's been almost 9 years since you played a pivotal role in the United States' 4th place finish (Editor's Note: I completely botched this, I have no idea how I missed that. What I MEANT to say was it's been almost 5 years since playing a pivotal role in the 2004 Olympics, not the 2000 Olympics.) - What are the biggest changes you've made since that time, and what are your goals for the near future?

Thank you for the congratulations first of all. Its an honor to play for the National Team and I'm very happy that they still have trust in me to represent team USA in World League. I hope to be able to play my best and be a main guy on the squad this quad. 

Second, I've only played on the National Team for 7 years and the 4th place finish we in 2004. But you're right, I have not played much of a role on the team since those games. It was really hard not getting much of a chance to play these past 4 years...and the chances I did get I always felt that I had to show everything in one match. Stressful! but without a doubt I understood that there were 2 great players ahead of me and by no means was it a knock to my level of play. Clay Stanely and Gabe Gardner went out there and did it everyday for the team. 

I haven't changed much except gaining more knowledge of my own capabilities. I am learning every time I step on the court and trying to beat my worst enemy...my head. This game is just as mental as it is physical. 

My near goals are to start for the USA team this summer and just keep working hard. 

With leagues running almost year-round, what do you think is the biggest key in keeping your body from breaking down during the course of a season?

Lots and lots of ice and therapy. Resting on my off time is also going to prolong my career. Staying in the weight room is a must as well. If your muscles are weak then your joints are going to take on more stress...Joints are the problems that keep most athletes out. 

What's the best piece of advice you can give readers in developing as a volleyball player?

You can not stress hard work and communication enough. There are a ton of talented players that can get away without working hard but if you don't communicate on the court you are going to have a real hard time getting to the next level. The best thing my high school coach, Jon Lee, taught me was communication between players. 

What's next for you after volleyball?

I have no idea. I hope to meet the right girl and start a family. I would love to do something that helps people as a profession but one task at a time...and right now it is making as much money as possible with this sport to be able have a cushion till that opportunity comes along. 


To conclude, I found it interesting that even as one of the best players in the world, he admits that it can be difficult to win the battle against yourself mentally. I found it interesting that he's been to two countries with VERY different cultural backgrounds... it's probably been quite the eye-opener. It seems that he's been a key role in his team's success in Turkey this season, and I look forward to hopefully catching him with the USA team when they stroll into Chicago in July!

No comments: