Friday, April 3, 2009

So Many Subjects, So Little Time: First-round Predictions and More!

I want to start by saying that I will be posting eventually about this last Wednesday. To put it in cliff notes' version, I heard a lecture from the co-founder of Harpoon Ale, saw a great 15-minute interview of Knicks head coach Mike D'Antioni (spelling is wrong, I can just tell), and then sat front row to listen to Johnny Earle (better known in his cult following as Johnny Cupcakes) give one of the most inspirational speeches I've ever listened to. This post WILL happen. Very important stuff.

To give everyone a heads' up, I will try to do a LIVE running diary of the NECVA tournament. As I've never done it before/am unsure of how the MIT wireless network is going to behave, it may hit a few snags at the beginning. However, in a perfect world, starting at 2 pm EST I'll be constantly updating the thread with scores/details on the games. At 2 PM I'll most likely be covering Nazareth/Emmanuel, then at 4 pm Ramapo vs. Elms, and although I'll need to stretch, I may catch the beginning of the Vassar/MIT match.

Time is running short, but I want to get predictions for the first round in. Here we go!

RIVIER (1) vs. HUNTER (16)

Hunter is one of the flashiest teams in Division III, with two of the most explosive under-6 foot hitters in the nation in Wajubiak (spelling) and Ripoll. However, their size has been their achilles' heel, and with Rivier having arguably one of the best middle tandems in the country with Wright/Ferreria, as well as bangers at the pin in Anderozzi/Soucy... This one could get ugly fast. Led by potential All-American Zach Hansen, this could be one of the most lopsided matches in the tournament.

Prediction: Rivier in 3.

NAZARETH (2) vs. EMMANUEL (15)

Nazareth is one of the few teams I haven't seen this year, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. With Senior All-American Leahy running the show, and led by powerhouse freshman outside Billy Gimello, they've compiled an impressive 24-4 record. Many insiders I've talked to feel that they may be favorites to reach the finals (which as a 2 seed would make sense!).

Meanwhile, Emmanuel is an intriguing first-round matchup. They have their flaws, but when they're hot, they compete at a level as high as any team in this tournament. An aggressive serving team with an offense that moves their two outsides from pin-to-pin, they can catch teams off guard. I'm giving the sweep to Nazareth, but don't be surprised if the scores are closer than you'd expect.

Prediction: Nazareth in 3.

RAMAPO (3) vs. ELMS (14)

I remember when Ben Wallace signed a 4-year, 60 million dollar contract with the Bulls. Although the city was excited at the time, he struggled his entire time there, and ended up being a huge bust. Bill Simmons discussed this concept in one of his columns on ESPN, discussing how a player can be underrated, then plays with a chip on his shoulder, then everyone realizes he's underrated and proceeds to talk him up. Eventually, so many people talk about how unappreciated the player is that he becomes overrated.

Elms is one of my favorite teams in the tournament. I have more friends on this team than any other non-Newbury team. However, I feel that with all the attention they've gotten in the last week, a) They've lost their "nobody believed in us!" advantage, and b) You better believe Ramapo is using this as fuel to their fire. Elms is going to put up a great fight, and if they did win, I wouldn't be completely shocked. At the same time... Ramapo is no pushover, and I think that they'll show why they were able to come out on top of a division including teams like Stevens and Vassar. Expect it to go into extra sets, but that's where Ramapo does its best work.

Prediction: Ramapo in 5.

STEVENS (4) vs. EASTERN MENNONITE (13)

Stevens started the season obliterating everyone in its path, and a narrow 5-set loss to Juniata led people to believe that they would be a lock as a top 3 national team for the season. However, injuries and inconsistency stemming from it has led to them dropping to a 4-seed. However, Bocchichio seems to be getting back to full strength, they still have arguably the best middle in the country in Cranford, and Trinsey will not want his career to finish on a sour note.

EMU has a young core with a lot of potential, but it seems like they haven't quite hit their stride. Rumor has it one of their players is out due to grades, and that will definitely hurt if he's as good as I hear he is. Coto's one of my favorite players, but I believe he'll have to wait another year, because they drew arguably one of the best 4 seeds this tournament has ever seen.

Prediction: Stevens in 3.

ENDICOTT (5) vs. NEW PALTZ (12)

A somewhat interesting match-up. Endicott has had a great season, upsetting many goliaths on the way. Coleman is one of the top liberos in the nation, and Witofsky is one of the most versatile middles in Division III. Meanwhile, New Paltz has quietly put together a nice season, and although they finished 4th in their division, keep in mind the 3 teams above them were seeded in the top 6 of this tournament. They're one of the few Division III teams to defeat Stevens (although Stevens was short-handed, it's not something easily done).

They have a nice 1-2 punch in the middle with Stross and Moore, but their setter's height is a liability in the front row, and the outsides on Endicott are pretty big. I expect them to run a pretty nice offense, but they'll struggle with Endicott on the defensive end, and although they may steal a set, I see Endicott advancing.

Prediction: Endicott in 4.

VASSAR (6) vs. MIT (11)

A battle of the brains! Vassar has had an interesting run, going 4-0 at the Nazareth tournament all against nationally ranked teams, but ended the season being swept at home by Endicott. It looks as if Leserman (one of the best liberos in the country) has been moved back to the hitting role. Time will tell if they can get some chemistry going in time, but with 2008 Coach of the Year Johnathan Penn running the show, I am confident they will do well.

MIT has silently compiled a 19-2 record over the last 21 games, and don't take home court advantage lightly. Despite that, Vassar tends to have a faithful crowd following them, and they may even that out better than most teams in the tournament. Although I actually want to give MIT the upset special... my gut tells me Vassar's experience and 2008 NECVA POY Phil Tully will give them the edge and help them prevail.

Prediction: Vassar in 4.

NEWBURY (7) vs. PHILLY BIBLE UNIVERSITY (10)

Very excited for this match. I don't want to go into details before the match, but I will make up for it with a detailed post-game analysis upon my return tonight.

Prediction: Newbury in 4.

BARUCH (8) vs. MEDAILLE (9)

I'm openly admitting bias here. Medaille as the 9 seed still boggles my mind... However, I don't see it being that much of an advantage. I saw Baruch play at the Endicott tournament, and was not impressed as Emmanuel handed them a 4-set loss. However, rumor has it they fell victim to the flu bug like my team did, and all my sources say they've hit their stride as of lately. It's not how you start, but how you finish, and I see Baruch coming in with a big chip on its shoulder and taking it out on Medaille.

Prediction: Baruch in 3.

Alright. Time to get some lunch and head over to MIT. I will try to post when I get settled in! Wish me luck!

No comments: