Friday, May 15, 2009

Loss of a Great Man: R.I.P Wayman Tisdale

I apologize for the lack of updates - I've been trying to get my ducks in a row since my return to Chicago, so my volleyball happenings have been a bit sidetracked. I assure you I'll have quite a few posts coming up in the near future, so don't take this off the bookmarks quite yet!

I did want to put a brief update regarding some sad news I read about today: Former NBA player Wayman Tisdale passed away this morning at the age of 44. Although he was a great player on the court, his personality and impact he had off the court was absolutely awe-inspiring. I beat this point to death constantly, but in a time where professional sports is littered with greedy athletes where steroids and run-ins with the law run on the ESPN ticker frequently, stories like Wayman Tisdale's are refreshing.

I had always been a fan of his, but reading this 2008 article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?page=tisdale-081203), I found myself with a much greater respect for him as a person.

"You can never give up because quitting is not an option. No matter how dark it is or how weak you get, until you take that last breath, you must fight."

--Wayman Tisdale

You will be missed.

More updates on USAV Nationals, sand season, and other topics soon.

No comments: