Monday, November 24, 2008

Patience is a Virtue.

Laundry on a Monday morning... time for a blog!

I find myself hesitating to write daily due to the difference it makes waiting a few days to let things clarify themselves. It is easy to get caught up in the emotion of events as soon as they happen, but it's amazing how quickly one's perspective can change after letting things calm down for a day or two. That being said...

Thanksgiving break is a day away, and personally, I cannot WAIT. This semester has been the most difficult one I've encountered by far on so many levels, and a week to recharge the batteries sounds pretty good to me! Shout out to my teammate Mark Thomas and his family for taking in this homeless kid for the holidays - plane tickets were absolutely ridiculous to go home, so this is a nice Plan B.

Practices have been... different to say the least. I think I'm coming to grips with the concept of this being a "transition period". When I knew Dave would no longer be coaching us, I continued to tell myself that it was important not to make that the case this season, but I realize how unfair that would be to expect the new coach to pick up right where he left off. That being the case, I've been just observing things in practice, getting used to the new situation just as she has.

Still, I can't help but find myself wishing things were a bit more competitive. The first week, everyone was firing on all cylinders, happy to be back on the court, looking to show coach what they could do. Now? It's more for fun, goofing around, lots of laughing, but also quite a bit of sloppy play. I think that part of the reason is because a couple players are already home for Thanksgiving, but its still well below the level that the remaining players can hang at. We were supposed to go three hours yesterday, and practiced was called before the 2 hour mark, because it was just getting worse and worse.

For now, I guess I'll continue to do my best the next couple days, enjoy a nice break, and see how things go when we all get back.

No comments: