Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Missing Coach...

This post is a day late, but frankly I didn't have the energy to write it. Unfortunately there was a scheduling error and although my schedule said the girls' practice was from 6-8, it was from 8-10. Wasn't too pleased about it, but actually had a great talk with the trainer for about an hour and a half. We have pretty similar philosophies for sports in general, and it was nice to talk shop with him until practice.

Yesterday marked the 3-month anniversary of Coach Dave's passing, and I still find myself struggling to come to grips with it. If it wasn't for Dave, I have no idea where I'd even be. After watching a highlight video I put on myspace, Dave messaged me and asked if I was looking to play college ball. Although I was on the fence about it, he flew 1000 miles to watch me play at an open gym, and afterwards we grabbed a bite to eat, and just started to talk about the school. He clearly had a passion for the team, as well as a vision.

He had already taken them from losing 55 straight games to being nationally-ranked, but continued to bring in more talent from all over the nation. Dave may not have a ton of individual success as a player, but I'm convinced he recruited better than anyone in Division III (sorry opposing coaches, just my opinion). His energy made me beleive, and with that, I verbally committed to coming to Newbury.

Since coming to Newbury, I've found myself with more direction/motivation than ever before, and a large part of it was due to Dave. I used to sit in his office for hours talking about whatever was on our mind that day, and although we had VERY different philosophies, I probably have never had a better "agree to disagree" relationship with anyone, and it's probably why I found myself in his office so often.

Although I felt I was handling it alright this summer, I found myself wandering around campus the first few weeks of school like Ron Burgandy walked the streets with a carton of milk, disoriented and unsure where to go in my free time. I'm finally starting to cope with it, although I don't think I'll ever be the same.

Showering, heading to lunch, class, then off to the 4:30 bus for the girls' quarterfinal match of the conference tournament, then homework if I have any energy left.

R.I.P. Dave, you're never forgotten.

No comments: