Monday, July 27, 2009

A Typically-Overdue Update - The Ups and Downs.

As usual, I find myself flying all over the place this summer and by the time I get to sit down at the computer and have the ability to blog, I find myself wanting to check my mail and go to bed.

However, tonight I find myself still flying high after a wonderful weekend of volleyball and spending time with friends. The 20th annual Spike for Kids tournament was Saturday and Sunday, and this was the 5th year I had participated.

I look back on the first year I played it with my friends Kevin and Juan. We got on the court, looked at the other team, and started muttering to ourselves how easy it was going to be. Funny thing was, they had won it before (other than the Luau, this is the probably the most competitive grass 3's tournament of the year for IL), and proceeded to annihilate us. We made it out of pool play, but was bounced out of the playoffs the first round. The next year I didn't make it out of pool play, the only time I've been sent packing before playoffs since I started playing grass touranments.

Fast forward to this weekend, and things have changed a bit. Last year we made it to the semis, but ran out of steam and ended up settling for 3rd. Josh and I picked up a new setter who played on the Cameroon National Team, and he did not disappoint. We faced the defending champions in the semi-finals, and games were to 21. Two of their players were on the team that beat us in the USAV BB National Championship in May, as well as the team that beat Josh's team in the Waupaca Semis, so redemption was necessary. One of the closest matches I've ever played, we won in straight sets, 24-22 28-26.

We advance to the finals, where we face a team we split with in pool play. They had a hammer of an outside, as well as a strong setter and big opposite, so it was going to be a tough one. They came out very strong, taking the first set 21-14. We re-grouped for the second and edged out a 21-19 victory to force it to a 3rd game.

Although my defense felt great all tournament, my hitting was definitely our weak point, as I hadn't played much rightside this summer and was struggling to get my timing down. Luckily, Set 3 starts off well, as I put down 2 straight kills down the line, then make a diving left-handed pop-up to Josh who set Patrick on the rightside for a 3-0 lead. We never looked back, and after two HUGE digs in a row by Josh to give us match point, we took a 15-11 victory to win the tournament.

This was by far the biggest victory of my career. It seems like just yesterday I was at the Luau (the actual year was 2005) and watching the Open Division in complete awe. My friend Orest, a veteran of the local tournaments, was sitting beside me as I basically admitted that these guys killed any trace of an ego I had. He said that he remembered how they played at my age and that I just needed to be patient.

Sure enough, 4 years later and the work seems to be paying off.

The next day, Juan and I teamed up with the girlfriends for the co-ed 4's, really just playing for fun and not really having expectations. Although we rotated and had everyone hit, our defense was very strong, and we ended up winning the 2nd highest division, despite the fact that most teams didn't rotate and had the guys blasting away everytime. So I ended up 2-for-2 on the weekend, thanks to some great play by some incredible teammates!

Aside from that, I've played a few pro sand tournaments, taking home a 9th and a 17th. Not the best finishes, but I'm winning matches at each tournament, so it's nice to know I can at least hang in there with the big guns. On top of that, it's been another eye-opening season as to what I need to work on the most, and although I'm having a blast and don't want the sand season to end, I can't WAIT to hit the weight room and start the P90X workout this fall.

With one month to go before heading back to school, I look forward to cramming in as much volleyball as possible before REALLY taking an off-season and staying of the court for a few months. It's literally been about 5 years since I've stayed away from any sort of competition, and although at Newbury I used to play a lot of grass/do the fall season with the teammates, I plan on really disciplining myself short-term so that I can reap the benefits next summer. I'm in talks with a few potential sponsors, and if all goes well, I should be traveling around the country in 2010 competing in AVP/EVP events. A lot can happen before that though, so for now I'll take it one step at a time and enjoy the last few weekends in Chicago.

More to come at another time.

No comments: