Monday, March 9, 2009

Hello from Anaheim!

I'm currently sitting in my hotel room at noon on Monday, day 2 of our Spring Break trip, and am feeling extremely relaxed compared to previous weeks. It's nice to get away from the normal grind for a bit, and this trip could not have come at a better time.

This is my first time to California, and I have always joked that the reason I never visited previously is because I knew I'd never want to leave. To an extent, my theory is somewhat accurate. Why anyone would grow up here and decide they want something else floors me. It's a "cold" day in the 60's, it's clean, there isn't rain. Pure utopia. For grad schools, I'm looking at home mostly, but if I go anywhere else it'd most likely be somewhere here.

We went to Huntington beach yesterday, and it was absolutely gorgeous out. We laid claim to 2 of the nets and played some friendly games of doubles. The wind was definitely in full-force, and it definitely led to conservative play. It was great to get back on the sand, sprawl out for dives without that sharp pain of hard floors, and get some sun to battle the transparency that's taken over my skin this winter. Rumor has it we'll be going to Manhattan beach Thursday. I can't wait, I'll definitely be getting my picture on the pier where they have plates with names of all previous Manhatten Open winners.

As for volleyball, we dropped a tough one to MIT in 4 last week. Although this was our 5th loss in 6 matches, I think we're ready to bounce back from the trainwreck of injuries/illnesses/other factors that led to a brief slump. The right discussions have taken place, we know what we have to do, and everyone is ready to get back to being the team we were before the slip-up.

We play Hope International tonight, and it should be an interesting match. Hope is the 4th ranked NAIA team in the nation, beating defending NAIA national champion Park in the process. They have a MONSTER 6-10 opposite from Brazil, as well as a 6-6 outside from Germany that they go to constantly. There will be a large height difference between the two teams, but I think we will give them a good match regardless. Livestats will be on their website for anyone that wants to follow the action at http://athletics.hiu.edu/volleyball/mens/ , gametime is 7:30 pacific (9:30 central/10:30 eastern). My cousin Mike will be in attendance, and I look forward to catching up with him a bit after our match.

Enough typing for now. Time to grab some food, hit the hot tub, and get ready for the match tonight. Recap later.

No comments: