Saturday, December 6, 2008

Morning of a Tournament

It's about 45 minutes before we leave for the Boston University tournament (As I'm used to having 9 am start times, getting the afternoon session was being spoiled), and I feel about as prepared as I can be. There are 32 teams in the tournament, including fellow NECVA New England (our region) opponents Rivier (2 teams), Emmanuel, Mount Ida, and Wentworth. Our first match is at 2 pm against Syracuse, and I can't wait! Hopefully the former Sacred Heart setter is there, not that I hold a grudge from losing a 5-setter to him 2 years ago or anything.

Woke up in the middle of the night (4:30 AM), and was awake for a good 2 hours before falling back asleep again. This constantly happens the night before a tournament, so I'm used to it. I went to bed somewhat early, and slept a lot the night before (I always make a note to try and sleep extra the day before, knowing I probably won't sleep too much the next night). I just spend this time visualizing the tournament, jump serving, hitting bic's, tooling people from the outside, anticipating on defense and getting the digs, and anything else that can come to mind. When I finally get to the game, I'm ready to go!

We had our last pre-season practice yesterday, overall I think it went well. It was one of my better practices on the outside, and surprisingly I wasn't sore at all after going pretty hard. Looks like my body's finally getting used to the grind! I'm excited to play middle back for the first time in a LONG time, as I was always left back with my USAV team, and right back for Newbury the previous 2 years. However, I feel like I've done well in practice, and am excited to attack from the backrow, as I feel that's been one of my stronger points so far.

Coach named captains yesterday, and it's a relief to have that over with! She had even said that she had been concerned of not having a leader out there, and although many people do so by example, it's nice to have some organization. Tim, a senior for us, is definitely the spark plug for the team. Countless times we've been flat, and he's been able to jumpstart us with his energy, both when he's on and off the court. Mark, the other captain, is simply a monster in the middle, tallying over 500 kills last year, and looking even stronger in practice this year. I'm happy to see it, they both deserve it!

Expectations today are uncertain. The only thing I DO expect is to go 3-0 in pool play. However, I have no idea how the roster will play out, as she hasn't exactly named starters or a specific serve-receive system yet. With a variety of talent levels we'll be facing off against today, I do think it's safe to say that everyone will get a chance to show what they're bringing to the table after completing our preseason. She mentioned that I will probably spend some time back on opposite, but I think it will be minimal, as I'm starting to hit my stride at the left pin and Josh is coming around quite nicely on the right.

Anyways, time to finish getting ready. Recap tonight! Wish us luck!

No comments: