Wednesday, December 17, 2008

First Post From Back Home

I would have posted a blog earlier, but simply have been too tired to write all the thoughts that fly through my mind on a regular basis. However, after an hour and a half at my physical therapist, I feel as good physically as I can remember feeling in a long time. I really wish I could take them with to Boston, they aren't just nice people but phenominal at what they do. I have yet to go in there for something without a prompt diagnosis/treatment to keep me moving forward. I've been going to them for 3 years now, and wouldn't be able to play at the level that I do without their guidance.

Moving on: After a 15 1/2 hour car-ride, Josh and I finally arrived back at home, and it's been the break I desperately needed. I was on the brink of a breakdown at school, and getting a rest from the regular grind couldn't have come at a better time. I ended up doing pretty well, with all A's except for one A-, which I wasn't pleased about, but I suppose I could have worked harder to get the grade I wanted. Lesson learned.

Seeing the little brother has been great, and it never ceases to amaze me how much he grows both physically and mentally each time I return. I've spent the majority of my trip playing with him as I've struggled to lock down a job from any of my previous employers short-term. Rather than rant on that as I could, I'll just say the aftermath of the financial crisis has not made me regret my decision to add one more year to get a second degree and leave it at that.

It's been great catching up with old friends, and I'm sad that I can't stay longer, because although I love it in Boston, it doesn't have the feeling that Chicago has. Chicago is home. Chicago just feels right. I can't put it into words, I just know when I'm here I feel like this is where I'm supposed to be. It's been nice finding out how everyone has been since I've been gone, and it seems like the majority have been doing well.

Obviously, I've been playing ball, and it's been a good time so far. I feel very strong physically, and feel that I'll be ready to go come our first practice in January. I've kept in touch with a lot of the guys, and they're just fired up to get on the court. For whatever reason, the team seems to have that killer instinct that we were missing last season. Add that to a couple people making it a point to go out of their way telling us we'll struggle this season, and you've got a hard-working, motivated team with a chip on its shoulder.

On a bit darker note... I've found myself a bit shaken up about a dream I had about Coach Dave the other night... not going to go into details, but I find myself exhausted by the whole process. I realize that it's one of those things you'll never fully recover from, but I wonder if things are getting better or if I'm repressing my emotions. I suppose I have to just keep taking it one day at a time.

Anyways, I realize I never posted my thoughts on my individual performance at the BU tournament, but I'll write something tomorrow a bit deeper than just the tournament. For now, it's off to Betsy Ross to play a little co-ed ball.

No comments: