Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Why Are Kids Afraid To Fail? One Theory.

The following thoughts are simply my opinion based on what I see on a regular basis - I would love someone to do some research on it to give it a little more validity. My question is this: How does the media's constant praise/criticism of world-class athletes affect youth sports?

From 1st-8th grade, I had a routine before school. I would wake up early each day and watch a full SportsCenter on ESPN in order to follow my favorite teams and see the results from competitions the previous day. I loved keeping up-to-date with my favorite players/teams and never missed a day of it.

Twenty years later (Really??? 20? When did that happen...), I still like to listen to ESPN Radio or have the television on in the background while I work. I may change this routine moving forward though, as while the stories change, the tone of the conversation remain the same.

The problem I see is we live in a society that hails the victor and picks apart  the "loser". The Chicago Bears had a bad game Sunday and the media has CRUSHED them for the last 72 hours. The coaching staff, offense, defense, and special teams all have been getting blasted via radio/television, and I'm not even going to address Social Media like Twitter/Facebook. I realize journalists have a job to do and that's how they make their living, but how do we expect our kids to see society's reactions to athletic competitions and NOT fear failure and judgment from peers?

I went to a junior high match to watch a couple of the athletes I coach in the sand play earlier this week, and her team won a very close match. Both played extremely well - I ran into one of them afterwards and complimented her on how she played (including the only block of the match to win the match 26-24!). She was a beam of light on the court for her teammates when they made good plays, and kept players going to the middle after the other team scored. She served well, played good defense, and attacked the ball well beyond her years. She responded meekly, "I made a lot of mistakes...". I asked her if she gave her all physically/mentally and she said yes. I reminded her of the good plays and told her I was proud of her and to keep working hard. The player I found and the player I left were completely different, all because of a little encouragement.

I tell my kids the same thing time and time again: If you walk off the court knowing you gave your all physically and mentally every single point, that's all you can ask of yourself and you should walk off that court with your head held high, regardless of the outcome/mistakes that may have occurred.

I've coached players from age 5 all the way up to 50's - One of the biggest obstacles I face with new teams, young or old, talented or raw, is getting players to focus on making the play instead of fearing the mistake. Even parents with a limited education on volleyball can tell when kids "aren't moving" - their movements are hesitant, their bodies are tense, they look at their teammates any time a ball is between them hoping they'll go for it so they don't have to. Their mechanics become rigid and they don't give themselves an opportunity to succeed. I spend much more time at practices breaking this mindset than I'd like to because it's crucial for their development. My players know the quotes I drive home time and time again (most from coaches much smarter than me) - "If you're not making mistakes, you're not growing" "Whatever you're doing, do it to the best of your ability" "Focus on the process, not the results" "Be comfortable being uncomfortable" "When things get tougher physically you must be tougher mentally". When they finally buy into it, that's when we see the biggest growth. I make sure we're always pushing ourselves to raise the bar and improve things mechanically, but I also don't want them to become consumed by the results.

One of the first pieces I read this morning was about the Buffalo Bills quarterback being replaced by their backup, with the coach being quoted as saying they need more production from that position. I realize coaches have to be careful about letting the media hit nerves with them, but I'd love to hear a coach say something like this:

"Yes, we're making a change. Let's be clear about something: It's not a punishment to the former starter - it's an opportunity for the new one. We are an organization of world-class individuals competing against other organizations of world-class individuals - every single person that's a part of what we do has worked their asses off most of their life to be successful at what they're doing - and most of us will be able to live comfortably for the rest of our lives as a result. Every now and then, one player will not be producing and we'll look at another option, but they'll continue to work hard, we'll continue to evaluate their progress, and the team will move forward as one.

The reality is, every single Sunday, an amazing team is going to win and an amazing team is going to lose. Half of these elite teams HAVE to lose each week. If a player isn't hustling, is a negative influence on those around them, or is becoming individualistic and losing focus on the team and its goals, then we can criticize them. But if a player is giving their all and aren't at their best physically - and remember, we play a game where a matter of INCHES can be the difference between positive and negative outcomes - then I'm going to back my players/staff and do everything I can to help them be better prepared for the following week, because that's all I can ask of them".

I know it won't happen because people eat it up the way it is, which generates ratings/views, which generates advertisement opportunities with leads to $$$ - it's just sad that we are raising a generation of kids that watch us praise players when they're great one week and crush them the next when they don't perform. It shouldn't come to a shock to us when are kids make mistakes - why wouldn't they be concerned about judgment when you can't watch/listen to sports media for 15 minutes without seeing harsh criticism of some of the best athletes in the world? 

We can't change what's on television or on the radio - but we have SO much power as coaches, teammates, parents, siblings. Players put enough pressure on themselves and know when they have a bad game - don't let our young athletes forget: It's not whether they win or lose, but how they play the game. 


No comments: