Monday, February 2, 2009

Hitting my Stride, and a Wonderful Birthday Weekend.

It's been awhile since my last post, but there's been so many things going on this weekend that I haven't had a chance to put all my thoughts on here.

After a couple practices Thursday/Friday, we had the big game at Elms on Saturday. This game was FULL of meaning. First off, Elms is in the NECC/NECVA New England. The NECC is a first-year conference, and we're really the only two strong teams in it, so this match was essentially the regular-season championship. On top of that, with Endicott/MIT/Elms all in NECVA New England, we can't afford to drop any games to them. The seeding for the NECVA tournament is very important, especially with the conference being pretty top-heavy this season. With the addition of Saquiel (Former member on Puerto Rican National Team), they looked to be a force. He made his debut with the team a couple days before as they played #1-in-the-nation Springfield, and although they were swept, the first two games were 33-31 and 39-37. This was not going to be easy.

My birthday was Sunday, and I had asked my dad to come visit as I'd been a bit more homesick than normal this year. He had seen me play 2 other matches, but both were against D-I/II competition, and I figured it'd be nice to show him how I can play at my own level. It'd be nice to have him see a win before I graduate! :)

On top of that, Dave was going to have a memorial service before/after the game. Tomorrow will be 6 months since he passed. It still is something I'm coping with, and I was a bit nervous to see how I would react to all of that.

The ceremony was absolutely phenomenal. Kudos to the Elms staff, they did a fantastic job. So many memories flooded my mind in such a short period of time. Pulling in the BK Parking lot and seeing him get off the train. The dinner where we first discussed the team. Picking me up from the airport for my visit. A couple fights on the court, and a couple silent nods of approval from others. Talks in the basement, including our last one. So many things... but although I still miss him a lot, I was filled with happiness to have known him as well as I did.

The game starts. Sideouts on both sides keeps the game close. Elms surprisingly starts by establishing the middle, which is the weakest position they have on the floor. Tally (setter) does a great job utilizing every mis-match on every play, and we basically dare the team to stop us as all 5 of our hitters are able to do damage. We start to pull away, and end up on top 30-22.

The second game is much of the same, and although we had a comfortable lead at one point, we let them back into the game. I go back to serve at 28-28, and jump serve an ace down the line at 29-28. Getting a bit excited, I proceed to launch the next one to the backwall (oops) which proves to be costly as we lost 30-32.

Game 3 we come out hot, taking a 19-12 lead. As usual, we start to let the other team back in the game, making it close again, and I started to get that feeling I had at the BU tournament, where every play looks like its in slow motion. With some great passing, draws by Max (who had a career day as far as I'm concerned), and picture-perfect sets by Tally, I put down 29 and 30 for a 30-27 win.

Game 4 starts and we're trading points back and forth. We finally break off to a 21-16 lead, but serve receive (specifically me) melts, and we give up a 6-0 run to give them a 22-21 lead. We quickly snapped out of it, and ended up finishing the game 30-26, giving us the match!

We hit .349 as a team, compared to Elms' .220. They had good serve receive and a tough attack, but when all 5 of your primary hitters hit over .350, it's gonna take a lot to lose the match. They are still getting the kinks out of their system, and when they come to our gym on Feb. 26, I expect that it won't be as easy.

Individually, I had my second strong game in a row. Other than my little serve receive drought at the end of the match, my passing was decent, and I finished with 20 kills, 11 digs, 4 assists, 2 block assists, and an ace. I'm starting to see the court better, as well as make good decisions instead of blasting away on every point. My jump serve is finally coming around, and I hope to continue using it to keep teams on their heels in matches to come.

The next day was my birthday, and my dad's 8:55 AM call wasn't exactly a present I was looking for! However, his time in town was limited, so I wasn't mad about it. We went down to Quincy Market/Newbury street and just shot the breeze as we went into random shops looking around. A brief nap afterwards, then back to the hotel with a couple friends to meet him at their restaurant to watch the Super Bowl. Lots of laughs, good food, and a great game... low-key while still a lot of fun. I'm not big on celebrating my birthday, but it was definitely one of the best ones I've had!

Dad flew back today after we had lunch. It was really good seeing him, and a quick reminder on why I could never go a summer without heading back to Chicago. I'm enjoying the season, but it's always nice in May to head back home and be around friends and family there. It was a good break from the normal grind!

However, we were back to work at practice today, and tomorrow we play MIT at home. BIG GAME. They seem to be in a transition year, but we've never beaten them (they were the only D-III team to beat us at home last season). I look forward to redemption!

Getting late, off to bed. Update after the match.

No comments: