Saturday, June 5, 2010

Coach, Teacher, Hero: Rest in Peace John Wooden

If I had a "Mount Rushmore" of the mentors that have helped shape me as a player, coach, and human being, the four people would be my father, John Wooden, Dave Hildebrandt (first coach at Newbury) and Bob Vilsoet (Women's coach at Harper that talked me into playing again when I was 19). Woke up at 5:45 am today to turn on ESPN for news that I had been preparing myself for since yesterday: John Wooden died of natural causes at the age of 99.

Where to even start? My father set a strong foundation for how to conduct yourself as an athlete both on and off the court, but John Wooden's books really took it to the next level for me. I remember picking up a John Wooden book for the first time in September of 2006. It took me two days to read his book about the Pyramid of Success which he created, and it completely blew my mind.

He won 10 NCAA National Championships in 12 years, but winning was never discussed. Effort was his focus, playing with class, never criticizing a fellow teammate. His quotes are timeless: "Be quick, but don't hurry" "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail", and so many more will stay with me until the day I die. Even at the age of 98, he wrote a book about mentoring, and although he talked a lot about sports figures, he also talked about how people can influence those off the court, discussing some of his mentors (President Abraham Lincoln and Mother Teresa were two of his favorites).

I never met John Wooden. E-mailed him once just to see what would happen, and received a generic response that was automated (He was in his mid 90's - I didn't take it personal). I don't like to do the "What if" thing, but I am certain of one thing: If I had never been graced with the teachings and philosophies of John Wooden, I would not be where I am today. My approach to sports (and life for that matter) completely changed after reading his books.

I have no tattoos yet, but if I was ever to get one, it would be the pyramid of success on my back, because I do my best to use this as a guidance to how to act both on and off the court.

Rest in peace John Wooden - I was blessed to stumble upon your books. The world was a better place for your contributions.

I will post links upon my return to Chicago of various Wooden clippings.

No comments: