Friday, January 16, 2009

An Ugly Win is Better Than a Pretty Loss.

It's probably a good thing I didn't write this right after we got back from the match, because the over-analytical Bryan would have certainly written a novel nit-picking all of the little things that in the big picture aren't that bad. With so much anticipation for this match, and how energetic we were at the BU tournament, it was a bit of a disappointment regarding how we played tonight. However, we did what needed to be done, and although there are some kinks that need to be worked out, we came out with a 30-27, 30-18, 30-28 win.

As a team, we played very well overall, hitting .360 as a team. On a positive note, we served very aggressively, and although we only had one block the entire match, I believe that it was because we had them so out of system that they really didn't set many balls that were on the net. On the negative side, we missed A LOT of serves, and probably won't be able to get away with that once we play better competition.

Serve receive was hot and cold, and I believe part of it was simply not practicing with this line-up much before the match. We even had 2 out-of-rotations, and I don't believe we did that all of last season. Hopefully that doesn't become a habit. Our offense was pretty fast-paced, but the defense still leaves a bit to be desired.

Overall, I'd say it was a good warm-up match, although I hate that term normally. I think it was good to kill any egos we had left, and hopefully now we're ready to be a little more focused so we're ready for the tri-match Sunday.

Individually, I didn't feel too great about how I played on the court, but it could have been much worse. 4 assists (as an outside, I'll take it!), 10 digs, and 12 kills on 26 attempts. However, the 6 hitting errors are going to aggravate me, as .231 is not a percentage I intend to be content with. We ran a lot of different plays though, so I think it was just me struggling with the timing. It will get better with time, and as long as we win, I could care less what the individual box score is.

Anyways, we have game film tomorrow, then practice Saturday, and the big tri-match Sunday. It's going to be a great test to see where we're at, definitely looking forward to it! Time for sleep, I'll update tomorrow.

No comments: